Saturday, December 11, 2010

Tempo-Speed-Fartleks OH MY!

I'm devouring training plans as I look forward to a winter/spring training schedule and I swear it doesn't matter how many times I read them, I still don't know how to work in these specialty runs.

I don't know the difference between my 5K pace, my 10K pace and my 1/2 pace. I have running and not running. My runs are almost always the same pace. Is it better to do these training runs on a treadmill to monitor speed and distance, or is it possible to learn to feel the different paces?

Any advice on how to learn the feel of these workouts is greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. A good way to figure things out is to either: A) run a 5k or 10k and then plug some numbers into the various pace calculators (like McMillan) or B) get to a track and try to run a solid time trial for 2-3 miles and then again use the calculators. When doing speedwork, if you do it on a track, you also get to learn your paces. With time, you can definitely learn to feel your pace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am going to try some of those calculators. I have a track nearby so I can go get a more accurate idea of pacing too. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete